The course will focus on the key challenges and issues affecting the success of „Multibusiness Firms“. The fundamental question is: „Why are some multibusiness firms successful while others struggle to survive?“. The focus is on the following issues:
- Diversification and portfolio planning (forms of diversification strategies, theoretical and empirical findings on the superiority of individual diversification strategies, characteristics of premium conglomerates / basic theoretical assumptions and characteristics of significant portfolio approaches, concept and application of value-based portfolios)
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures as key strategic initiatives at the corporate level (forms of corporate development, M&A, findings of empirical studies on the success of M&A, the importance of synergies, approaches to value creation from acquisitions, the acquisition process and the importance of integration)
The first two dates serve to convey the basic content of the above-mentioned aspects. Subsequently, students work in teams on a topic in depth, taking into account current research findings as well as entrepreneurial issues. The results of the work are presented on the third and fourth date and then discussed in the plenum.
The results of the presentation and the discussion are then to be processed by the students in a case study.
All components of the seminar will be held in the summer semester 2023 in presence. The knowledge transfer and the presentations will take place in the WiSo premises. If required, digital solutions (Zoom) can also be used for the supervision of the individual groups.
To participate in the course „Corporate Strategy“ an application via StudOn is required.
The number of participants is limited to a maximum of 32 students. Students who wish to participate must apply for the StudOn course „Corporate Strategy – SoSe 2023“ until 10.04.2023. It is obligatory to provide your course of study, semester and Master’s average (alternatively Bachelor’s average) in the „Message“ field. Based on the information provided, re-registration will take place by 12.04.2023.
|Prof. Dr. Sebastian Junge||1. 18.04.2023; 15:00 – 18:15
2. 02.05.2023; 15:00 – 18:15
1. 20.06.2023; 15:00 – 18:15
2. 21.06.2023; 15:00 – 18:15